Re: Setting up a developer environment

On Mon, 2017-04-03 at 00:58 -0500, amon wrote:
> On 2017-03-28 00:29, amon wrote:
> >
> > I'm just getting back to a project using a BQ-10 Notepad that
> > I was looking at nearly a year ago when my situation went
> > through a sudden change.
> >
> > I need to put a full GNUStep developer environment on it. What
> > is the current best way to do this, ie get into a dselect or
> > an apt-get to pull in clang, libgnustep and friends, debian
> > package scripts, etc. In other words, a normal debian developer
> > environment.
> >
> > Is there a HowTo out there for this?
> >
> > I was pretty far along last May, but I've pretty much forgotten
> > everything I did that far back and its probably all different
> > now anyway.
> No replies so far. What is the current best practice? Can I
> just get into a Terminal, su root and install gcc, clang,
> libgnu* and the rest?
>
> I need to build native debian packages in the BQ-10 environment,
> so I need the full monty of developer software.

There are two ways to do this. You can use libertine to manage a chroot
where you install all these tools, as already mentioned, which is
generally the better option.

Another way is to just manage a chroot manually yourself, roughly per
the instructions in my answer at http://askubuntu.com/a/623311/50737

Doing things to the root partition such as remounting read/write and
using apt to install things there is very ill-advised. The root
partition is small and read-only for a reason. Installing needed tools
in a chroot on the home partition (or an external SD card) will give
you a lot more space to work with, and you won't end up making your
device unbootable by filling up the root partition.