ubuntu-powerpc team mailing list archive

Re: CD Builds for PowerPC e500 kernels

On Dec 20, 2012, at 7:44 AM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 04:52:30PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
>> Colin, I've done the majority of the related work for selecting the
>> right image for e500* machines. What isn't done is the livefs and ISO
>> stuff.
>>
>> The livefs obviously needs the extra kernels added (powerpc-e500 and
>> powerpc-e500mc...did I do that already?).
>
> You did, in live-build 3.0~a57-1ubuntu5.
>
>> Also, the ISO image needs these installed as:
>>
>> /installer/e500/{vmlinux,initrd.img}
>> /installer/e500mc/{vmlinux,initrd.img}
>
> I think this should be /install/..., for consistency with other
> subarchitectures?

I had it as installer in our firmware, but I can change that if need be.

>> Any extra command line options required (you only get one choice)
>> should be added in one line to:
>>
>> /installer/{e500,e500mc}/append
>>
>> Alternatively (I haven't tested this yet, but it should work) the
>> images could be placed arbitrarily if a /boot/grub.cfg existed on the
>> ISO.
>
> Is this a typo for /boot/grub/grub.cfg, which would be more
> conventional?

You're correct, that was a typo.

>> This would allow for an arbitrary number of entries with differing
>> command line options and descriptive text for each. I could even
>> update our firmware to look at /boot/grub.cfg.{e500,e500mc} if you
>> think that makes more sense; would alleviate the problem of both e500
>> and e500mc being in the same cfg and forcing the user to know what
>> their CPU is (but I'm guessing some grub.cfg foo could detect this and
>> only show one sub-menu or the other).
>
> In principle.  You might need to implement a new GRUB command (i.e. in
> C) for the purpose.

I'll check into this. Grub being able to detect CPU subflavour would be a nice feature all around.

>> Note that either of these would work on bare-metal and QEmu-KVM booted
>> situations and the kernels can be reused for net booting if the user
>> needed that.
>>
>> I prefer the grub scenario since it is more robust.
>
> I do too.
>
> I've pushed this a little further up the hill, insofar as time allowed
> before the end of the year.  debian-installer now emits bare e500 and
> e500mc images (just kernel and initrd); I've modified debian-cd to
> include these on the ISO images; and I've respun the powerpc server
> image (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/) so that
> you can see the effect of this.
>
> I have not yet dealt with grub.cfg, as I'm not sure of proper contents.
> Perhaps you could help with this?

Thanks, I'll check this out.

Servergy  : http://www.servergy.com/
SwissDisk : http://www.swissdisk.com/