ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: kicking off: the plan so far

On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 10:59 -0300, Lucio Torre wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         I'm not sure what you're meaning here by token.  It seems like
>         you don't need tokens as much as you need to authenticate
>         everyone connecting, and keep a list of what they're allow to
>         see and/or post.  I don't think they need to be tokens of any
>         type as long as everyone authenticates to the server where the
>         lists are stored.
>

> Tokens are just a way to do that without having to keep a list of
> everyone that could be posting. The app-3rdparty communication still
> needs to happen so the 3rd party needs it needs to start notifying the
> app.

Perhaps, I'm confused a bit on what problem we're trying to solve.  I
figured we were looking at something like this:

Which seems like the only auth is that the developer is allowed to push
to any application that he/she also own.  And then the device can filter
out specific application pushes.

Are you saying that the use-cases are more like this though?

I'm not sure how apps would really use that.  Do you have any use-cases
there?

Thanks,
Ted