ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: status?

On 09/11/2013 06:31 AM, John Lenton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Thomas Voß <thomas.voss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Can you clarify the specific use-cases you are trying to
>> solve/referring to here? As I understand it, friends will only
>> eventually migrate to the push-notification service and we are good
>> with what we have right now. Admittedly, polling on a socket is not
>> what we should or want to do, but we are not limited by implications
>> of the app lifecycle for friends.
>
> depends what you mean with "we are good". We don't need Friends
> migrated by v0; we definitely need Friends either migrated or off the
> phone before operators will touch it.
>
>> Let's assume the best case and we have native apps for facebook,
>> twitter, your-favorite-social network apps. How would friends fit in
>> with this configuration/scenario?
>
> that's one I'd love to know. My take is that Friends has value in and
> of itself, and a lot of people (even on other phones, or the web)
> would love to have it.

First off, let's not forget we don't have native apps for facebook, twitter, etc
yet. :)

Secondly, anecdotally, some time ago I switched phones and used stock Android
for a while on the new phone (I'm now dogfooding of course ;). The OEM for the
previous phone had something like Friends but with a not so great interface that
aggregated notifications for various different social accounts, SMS and email
(it was sorta trying to do what indicator-messages does). Like Friends, it would
allow you to setup the various accounts independent of the official apps which
allowed you to read the content and respond to it in a limited way, but unlike
Friends there seemed to be different applications for each account, ie, the
OEM's email client, the OEM's facebook client, etc. As clunky as it was, I still
found it quite useful and missed it on the stock Android experience (maybe there
was something that did it, I don't know). In this context, aggregating social
(and messaging) is quite helpful and I think there is still room for something
like Friends. If Friends continues in this vein, it might be cool if Friends
could also launch the official apps using the URL to the message with the
url-dispatcher.

2 cents...