ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Ejabberd

On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 11:00 -0300, Lucio Torre wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         It seems like the critical issue here is how XMPP
>         implementations deal with scaling.  Do you know how that's
>         typically done?  Is that per-implementation or are there some
>         standard strategies?
>

> Not only that, but also that there is no spec on Once-And-Only-Once
> delivery. At-Most-Once is the standard fire and forget delivery,
> At-Least-Once is the one that you get with unreliable acks.

> So, xmpp also means non-trivial dev work and inventing our own
> standards.

I'm not sure exactly the use-case you're going for here, but considering
the number of XEP's, I can't imagine inventing anything WRT to XMPP :-)
Does this work for your use case?

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0013.html#retrieve-all

It looks like ejabberd doesn't support it, but many other XMPP servers
do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_XMPP_server_software

Ted