ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Ejabberd

On 10/7/13 1:37 PM, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 11:00 -0300, Lucio Torre wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:ted@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>> It seems like the critical issue here is how XMPP
>> implementations deal with scaling.  Do you know how that's
>> typically done?  Is that per-implementation or are there some
>> standard strategies?
>>

>> Not only that, but also that there is no spec on
>> Once-And-Only-Once delivery. At-Most-Once is the standard fire
>> and forget delivery, At-Least-Once is the one that you get with
>> unreliable acks.
>
>> So, xmpp also means non-trivial dev work and inventing our own
>> standards.
>
> I'm not sure exactly the use-case you're going for here,

I'm not either. Is there a design document that would help clear this
up? For example, are there specific requirements driving "once and
only once" as opposed to "at least once" (with de-duping to happen on
the receiver side)?

In the XMPP community, we've done a lot of work to make messaging more
reliable, using specs such as XEP-0198 and XEP-0184. If gaps remain,
we (and I do mean "we") can define further XMPP extensions to fill
those gaps. The XMPP community has a very developer-friendly standards
process (see xmpp.org for details) and you wouldn't need to invent
your own standards.

Also, I'd be curious what you mean by "reliable" because, in my
experience, "reliable" is about as clearly defined as "secure".

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/