ubuntu-scientists team mailing list archive

Re: mandatory introduction

Hello Ghis,

Welcome to the team.  My reply is in-line.

I'm Svetlana Belkin, the founder of the group/project/team, whatever you
want to call it.  I'm a Biology with Cellular/Molecular Biology focus
under grad student at University of Cincinnati, Ohio and I'm in my last
year.  I don't if I will go into grad school yet.

On 05/24/2014 04:04 PM, Willem Ligtenberg wrote:
> Welcome feel free to join. :) Good to know that there is also a Debian
> Science Team.
> I myself was not aware of that, but I think it would be great to learn
> from you guys, and see how we can help each other out.

I wasn't too, though I was told about that Debian team by someone else
on a IRC channel.  I think you have made the right move for joining in
order to make a network between Debian and Ubuntu scientists.

Speaking of networking, as a side note, we need also network with Redhat
and their scientific community.

> For now we have chosen to focus on writing about some success stories of
> people using/working on Ubuntu/FLOSS software in science and getting a
> list of alternatives to closed source software scientists might be using.

Since this is stated, do you have a story, Ghis?  And also any resources?

> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@xxxxxxxxx
>     Just heard about the creation of a team focusing on scientists, so I
>     thought I should check this out.
>     I am glad a community gathering scientists using FLOSS has been
created.

Thanks for checking us out.
--
Svetlana Belkin A.K.A: belkinsa