ubuntu-scientists team mailing list archive

Self Introduction from an interested bystander

Hola!

I saw a post on a Planet feed, and as I have been working to a limited
extent on software for biodiversity research, I thought I would join.

I am not a scientist or even a programmer, but a basic computer tech
who had the fortune to spend a month at the Tiputini Biodivesity
station in the Amazon. While there I was asked to help with organizing
the 50K photos from their camera trap program.

So I looked into what options might be out there and came across
Darwin Core (DwC), a metadata schema for biodiversity research. It is
an open standard with tools and utilities published as Free Software.

More important for the 50K images was that DwC has been implemented in
exiftool as a XMP schema. I decided to spend some time making sure
that FOSS tools and apps could all work with DwC metadata.

I've identified a few bugs in apps which deleted the data from test
images and most of those have now been fixed. I've submitted a patch
to exiv2 so that other apps can read & write DwC metadata.

The biggest hurdle I have is my lack of real programming skills, but
am learning a lot, and hope to learn more by following this group!

Cheers,
Alan

Follow ups