ubuntu-scientists team mailing list archive

Re: My introduction and hello

On 27/05/14 08:19, Steve Moss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to say a quick hello too. I've been watching this group
> with great interest for the last week or so, and I really hope it makes
> it off the ground.
>
> It might be worth checking out BioLinux for some inspiration? Although,
> that is focused more towards bioinformatics and biological research
> applications. A Ubuntu based alternative to Scientific Linux interests
> me greatly. Is this something you are aiming for? I'm sorry, I haven't
> had much time to read through things, if this is mentioned somewhere in
> your notes online.

Hi, Steve.

I've used Bio-Linux for a long time and I helped a little bit in its
development. You might be interested in this blueprint:

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/biobuntu

The current version of Bio-Linux 7 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but Tim
Booth who is the Bio-Linux lead developer is currently working on
Bio-Linux 8 based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. You can get Bio-Linux from:

  http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux

HTH,

  Tony.

Registered Office: 3 Donview, Bridge of Alford AB33 8QJ, Scotland (UK)
mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx