ubuntu-scientists team mailing list archive

Re: [open-science] Seeking Opportunities Within Open Science

On 09/25/2014 02:42 AM, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> Many/most academic scientists are very bad at data. They need help; Some
> would welcome additional help. I can envisage a "market" where data
> scientists "outside" academia work with bench scientists "inside" academia
>
> It will be very difficult to get this started, because of culture.
> Academics are now forced to compete against everyone instead of
> collaborate. Citizens are seen as second-class. This is simplistic, but
> it's a common view.

I like this idea and I do agree with you.  But I think if we do
something like XPRIZE, as in allow room of both collaboration and
completion, it could work.  Perhaps a system like the Open Science
Framework along with Open Notebook Science could work.
--
Svetlana Belkin
A.K.A: belkinsa