ubuntu-tablet team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu tablet

I disagree. Notion Ink had their chance, and blew it. By not opening up from the start and embracing the developer community they shot themselves in the foot. I bought one of their tablets, and it was crap. Not bad hardware, but not even close to an ipad. The os was buggy as all hell, and awful to use.

I agree, so far, there's nothing on the market that appears usable. Lets not count Canonical out on this one however. I also love Unity, and have been impressed with the intelligence and level of design behind Ubuntu's recent releases. Since 10.04, there have been very clear directions and transitions Ubuntu is making.

Shuttleworth only recently aknowledged tablets as a form factor Ubuntu would be embracing, after stringently denying this for the better part of 2 years. I think he was waiting for the right time for the announcement, which makes me think there's more happening behind the scenes than we currently know about. I'm willing to bet we haven't seen the full plan with Unity yet.

As for next steps? I'd be looking to Canonical for some guidance as to what we can use as a dev device. Anyone have any 'official' contacts?

Mitchell