ubuntu-tablet team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu tablet

Hi Mitchell,

On 30/01/12 00:29, Mitchell Reese wrote:
Wow. So that means then, that after Mark Shuttleworth's announcement
that Ubuntu is coming to tablets, the 'officially' recommended way at
the moment to join in with development is to buy a tablet that doesn't
support, and quite possibly will never reliably support, hardware
accelerated graphics? I find that disappointing, to say the least.

My recommendation was based on the fact that I know it's possible to run Ubuntu on one of these devices. At the moment the Ubuntu Tablet is something Canonical are exploring, we don't have a lot of things nailed down, including final hardware. The Transformer is good enough right now to run Ubuntu, although not perfectly, it's good enough for a development target during our explorations.

What this means is that:
a. People will be unable to try anything with 12.04 until it's ported to
this tablet

I don't understand this. People have successfully installed 11.10 on Transformers, and had some success with hardware acceleration.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/How_to_install_Ubuntu_on_an_Asus_EEEPad_Transformer

It's far from perfect but people in the community are working on the niggling issues by the look of it.

b. We are then 'stuck' with using the Unity 2D interface. There are
potentially some great things about this, but personally, I'm a fan of
the regular version currently shipping that requires graphics acceleration.

Unity 2D uses GL acceleration too you know :) Just less of it. I too like Unity, but in Ubuntu both Unity and Unity 2D are first class citizens.

c. We will most likely be developing using the modified kernel required
for the transformer tablet. Admittedly I don't know much about kernel
development, but this doesn't seem to bode well for the future of this
project. Needing to have a modified kernel to get something to run
generally points to it not being officially supported by the main
project...

Modified kernels will almost certainly be required for _any_ ARM based device right now. That's a fact of life.

I would really like to see Canonical, and Ubuntu, succeed in the tablet
market. For this to happen though, I would expect there to be some form
of reasonable development device available in the near future. Alan, are
you able to drop us any hints as to whether this will happen or not? At
the very least, a roadmap from Canonical about tablet development would
be appreciated. Thanks.

We don't have a roadmap I can show you. We're just in the early stages of exploring the tablet market and devices and have a very small team looking at this. As Mark outlined in his blog post we have aspirations to be on tablets, but it's very early days for us.

Cheers,
Al.

--
Alan Pope