Thoughts on RSS...

With the recent announcement of the closure of Google Reader, I wanted
to start a discussion about RSS readers.

I've looked around a bit, and not only have I not found a replacement
for Google Reader, but I've seen a lot of complaints from other people
who also can find nothing that even comes close to comparing to Google
Reader.

So I spent a little bit of time thinking about the features that
matter to me in an RSS reader, and it occurred to me that there is
only *ONE*:

Syncing between desktop and mobile.

This means:

* If I subscribe to a feed on my phone, that feed has to show up on my
desktop (and vice versa).
* If I read an article on my desktop, it has to show up as 'read' on
my phone (and vice versa).

Now, to bring this discussion on topic for the coreapps list, it seems
like this kind of thing would actually be relatively trivial to
implement with Ubuntu One and Qml:

* Qml apps can trivially run both on the phone and the desktop. So
with one codebase we can have an app that works in both places.

* All we need to do is store the subscribed feed list and the article
read states in some kind of *file* (json? sqlite?) on disk, and then
Ubuntu One gives us the syncing *for free*.

I see lp:ubuntu-rssreader-app already has some code in it, but I have
the coreapps PPA enabled and it won't seem to run. Not sure what's
going on there, but anyways I'm interested in contributing towards
this end.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Perhaps we could create a
standard format for syncing the data, so that other apps on other
platforms can interoperate. Perhaps such a standard already exists? A
compatible Android app would be nice to have until Ubuntu Phone
becomes really usable, instead of just a tech demo.

Thanks everybody ;-)

Follow ups