Re: Thoughts on RSS...

On 03/15/2013 02:34 AM, Robert Bruce Park wrote:
> With the recent announcement of the closure of Google Reader, I
> wanted to start a discussion about RSS readers.
>
> I've looked around a bit, and not only have I not found a
> replacement for Google Reader, but I've seen a lot of complaints
> from other people who also can find nothing that even comes close
> to comparing to Google Reader.
>
> So I spent a little bit of time thinking about the features that
> matter to me in an RSS reader, and it occurred to me that there is
> only *ONE*:
>
> Syncing between desktop and mobile.
>
> This means:
>
> * If I subscribe to a feed on my phone, that feed has to show up on
> my desktop (and vice versa). * If I read an article on my desktop,
> it has to show up as 'read' on my phone (and vice versa).
>
> Now, to bring this discussion on topic for the coreapps list, it
> seems like this kind of thing would actually be relatively trivial
> to implement with Ubuntu One and Qml:
>
> * Qml apps can trivially run both on the phone and the desktop. So
> with one codebase we can have an app that works in both places.
>
> * All we need to do is store the subscribed feed list and the
> article read states in some kind of *file* (json? sqlite?) on disk,
> and then Ubuntu One gives us the syncing *for free*.

You should use U1DB for this, it provides automatic syncing of the
database, is backed by something like sqlite locally, and is already
being implemented as a QML plugin by Kevin Wright and Christian Dywan

https://launchpad.net/u1db-qt

> I see lp:ubuntu-rssreader-app already has some code in it, but I
> have the coreapps PPA enabled and it won't seem to run. Not sure
> what's going on there, but anyways I'm interested in contributing
> towards this end.
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Perhaps we could create a
> standard format for syncing the data, so that other apps on other
> platforms can interoperate. Perhaps such a standard already exists?
> A compatible Android app would be nice to have until Ubuntu Phone
> becomes really usable, instead of just a tech demo.

If you document the format of the data you're storing in U1DB, then
other apps can access it as well.  I think this would be a good idea,
but don't spend too much effort planning for other apps to use it.
Get the RSS Reader working first, then think about sharing data with
other apps if and when the need arises.

> Thanks everybody ;-)

Michael Hall
mhall119@xxxxxxxxxx