Re: [Ubuntu-phone] [RSS][Facebook][Twitter][Google+] Thoughts on newsreaders

On 17/03/2013 18:33, darkdragon wrote:
> With the recent development of Google shutting down it's RSS reader
> (probably in favor of their social network Google+) and all the growth
> in social networks and more and websites implementing more social
> plugins than RSS feeds, it first seemed a bit strange to launch a new
> RSS reader - especially in the core apps.

Agree, a simple "RSS app" isn't a core app. But with your idea, it
become a foundamental app ;)

> _It appeared to me that I would like the following features:_
> *categories/lists: *It should be easy to create groups (like tech news,
> economy news, political news, global news, local news, ...). This one
> could be implemented in a similar way to tweetdeck or the mobile Google+
> client (swipe left/right to change between the lists).

+1.
Also a section "Choose for you" can be interesting, with some news from
various source, based on most read articles of users..

> *read information:* In some areas, I like to no miss any news. So an
> indicator, if I already read a news item would be nice. Further, some
> sort of notification for real-time news would be also nice. But this is
> only true for some small lists (or circles or feeds or whatever you want
> to call this). For other lists, I would like to turn those features off.
> Perhaps some rules like: No longer mark as new when older than 2 weeks
> would also be desirable.

+1.
This is a very great idea: lists of feed each with its own rules!

> *synchronization:* sync all this information between multiple mobile /
> tablet / desktop devices. (only if the user whats - otherwise use a
> local db)

+1.

> This let me think about why not doing the same for the newsreader apps?!
> We should create one newsreader app which can easily implement new
> "newssources" (perhaps implemented by default: rss, twitter, reddit,
> facebook, google+) just like the messenger can easily add new messaging
> connectors (or whatever they are called).
>
> Then you could implement the following features additionally to the
> current rss newsreader roadmap:
> *comments:* Perhaps, there should be some sort of commenting
> functionality, which is just disabled for RSS.
> *share:* There should be some sort of share button for all items, where
> you can then select over which service you want to share (email,
> twitter, facebook, sms, ...)
>

> What do you think about it?
> Is it a good idea to unify the news reading experience like the
> messaging experience?

It's could be interesting, if well design: no more a RSS app, but a
"newscenter app": you can easily read your favourite newspaper, with
status of your best friends on Facebook, and the news by Ubuntu
Community on G+!
So, with a single app, you have the control on whatever happen in this
crazy world!

Fantastic!

Cheers,
--