Re: [Ubuntu-phone] [language] east-Asian language support problem

We are working to officially support this but here is a solution that I
know works for Chinese and hopefully will work for the other ones you
mentioned. It requires making the image r/w and is not supported in any
way. This will also make your image non-updateable, so you'll have to
reflash to get newer images. Additionally there are many non-translated
items still, but if you want to try it, here is what you can do:

1) Modify /etc/environment and /etc/default/locale to change the locale. In
/etc/environment, change LANG and LANGUAGE. You can use sed if you want
like this (example for Chinese): "sed -e s/en_US/zh_CN/ -i.orig
/etc/default/locale && sed -e s/en_US/zh_CN/ -i.orig /etc/environment"
2) Run locale-gen <locale> <locale.UTF8> for example, "locale-gen zh_CN
zh_CN.UTF-8"
3) Reboot the device

If you have issues with some bad characters then you've run into the font
fallback bug <https://bugs.launchpad.net/sevilerow/+bug/1189352>. You can
work-around it by doing the following:

1) rm -f /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf
2) fc-cache -f -v -s
3) Reboot