Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Allowing Apps to control the screen display

I like the idea of providing a central control in the system settings app,
however it really depends on if the design team like it or not. Also I feel
that it shouldn't be limiting to having the screen on only when the phone
is being charged. While it is the general case that people generally sleep
with the phone being charged, that is not always true as well.

I will discuss this with the design team and see where that leads to.

> Let's have a system setting option where the user can choose *ONE* app
> to be run when the phone is on the cradle, or charging.
> It will default to the clock, but it can be set to say, a slideshow
> gallery. Or to None, if the user wishes the phone screen to be off.
>
> So, instead of each app having to care about power management, some
> system daemon will:
> - listen for "charging" events
> - inhibit suspend
> - start that chosen app
> and viceversa when the cable is unplugged.
>
> PS: In Android there's a similar mode called "Daydream".
>
> cheers,
> --
> alecu
>
> Yeah I talked to Jamie about the QtPowerd Plugin and the requirement to
have the app be granted a life cycle exception. This solution would not be
something we will be going forward with. So I guess we are left with the
policy group exception and the power-hub idea :)