[doc-viewer] Development

Hi everybody,

I totally missed this project for a long time, but now that there's a renewed interest it would be nice to complete this app in time for the official release of Ubuntu (Touch).

I recently took some time on its code, and I found some parts in the PDF viewer that could be improved as well. Before proposing an MP, I'd like to discuss about this.

1) The current revision of the code loads all the PDF pages at the start-up: with a large PDF file, it results somehow slow and takes much RAM to store pages.

I've tried to use a QML ListView with the cacheBuffer property set to 0, so pages are loaded only when requested.

2) I've made some modification to Poppler QML Plugin[1], adding a QAbstractListModel and exposing the size of each PDF page.

By doing this, it becomes possible to predict the size of the ListView delegate, even when the PDF page image is not loaded yet from the Image Provider.

3) I've also tried to expose some relevant information from the PDF Document[2], that could be useful when filling the details page.

4) At the time it could be of help to have poppler-qml-plugin in the app's source tree too, so the development of both backend and frontend will be more "synergistic". (I'm refering to the latest thread on docviewer[3] - I'm writing this here because I don't get email notification for that thread, since I joined the mailing-list later).

If it can help somehow the project workflow, it would be a pleasure for me to join the Document Viewer team.

Thanks in advice,
Stefano

[1]: https://launchpad.net/poppler-qml-plugin
[2]: http://people.freedesktop.org/~aacid/docs/qt5/classPoppler_1_1Document.html#a00c581e1103955cc3cf00908fac5ce53