Re: Applying for joining ubuntu translations coordinators team

Hi David,
I am very happy to hear from you! Please also approve this message on
the queue of coordinators' list. I would reply your questions below, :)

2009/9/11 David Planella <david.planella@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Aron,
>
> Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.
>
> We've been talking about your application to join the team, and if you
> look at the mailing list archives so far two of our teammates think you
> would be a good addition to the team :)

I've read the archive, thank you all, :)

> I see that you are a member of some of the main translation projects
> (GNOME/KDE/TP) in Simplified Chinese, and a member of the GNOME
> Foundation. You are also active in Ubuntu translations, currently
> leading the effort of resolving translation quality issues in the
> Simplified Chinese team, of which we've talked about recently. And I see
> that you've just created and are leading the Launchpad Simplified
> Chinese Translators team.

Yes, I am a comitter on GNOME/KDE/Enlightenment, and signed the
disclaimer on TP.

> All these are a plus to me. However, you are not mentioning how familiar
> you are with the more technical side of translations, and I would like
> to ask you that before giving my vote.

About the technical side, I am familiar with gettext utilities and some
of intltool. I have wrote the guideline for Ubuntu/Launchpad Simplified
Chinese team including a brief usage of gettext utilities, and a more
detailed one for i18n-zh - a loose but central organization of FOSS
Simplified Chinese translations. The full article is in Chinese but I
suggest you try google translate to have a glance:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dc5xrn4k_1fz24pwg4
Also I have translated the LocalisationGuide on GNOME live to Chinese,
it here as you can reach:
http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/LocalisationGuidezh
On launchpad, I have prepared an FAQ for Simplified Chinese team, also
suggest you use google translate to have a go:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dc5xrn4k_3sdr6tvcf

> Although not a requirement, it is useful for the translations
> coordination team members to have some packaging skills and a technical
> understanding of the translation infrastructure. Are you familiar with
> those? E.g. would you feel confident in doing things like
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/Internationalisation#Verifying
> %20translation%20uploads if it were necessary to check packaging
> problems related to translations?

This is what I didn't imagined but do know about some of them, :)
As my wiki page have suggested, I am not maintaining a package named
gmchess for Debian, and it is in Karmic's repository. Though there is
still something not so perfect, they were due to the author haven't
implemented a full cross platform program core yet and other issues
related to debian/ubuntu policy's format requirements such as man/info
pages. Normally I use dpkg-buildpackage to build my packages for own use
and use pbuilder/ppa for formal use (or when my disk space is quite low,
so it cause to many fail builds on PPA), here is my PPA page:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/happyaron/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/
I packaged scim-googlepinyin engine which is recently developed by a
Chinese developer using the algorithm from the open source android
pinyin. And have a transmission snapshot which one of my co-worker use
it for translating it. There is also a tor package using the upstream
debian stuff, add it for my own use.

So, for what you have asked and the wiki page you've shown, I am
confident to say they are okay for me.

> Regards,
> David.
>
> P.S. to the UTC team: we sould probably work out a process for accepting
> new contributors to the team and put it in a page in
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuTranslationsCoordinators. We could even
> use polls for accepting new team members ->
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-translations-coordinators/+newpoll
>
> --
> David Planella
> Ubuntu Translations Coordinator