Re: Task re-shuffling and more coordinators?

Al 08/11/11 11:39, En/na Kenneth Nielsen ha escrit:
> Hallo utc's
>
> I volunteered to start a discussion about task re-shuffling for the
> tasks that we perform. But before we do that, I though we should have a
> brief discussion about the number of coordinators and so on. If we are
> no more than we are now, the re-shuffling discussion will probably be
> short, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
>
> So the questions are:
> 1) Do we need more members? And if so
> 2) How should we get our hands on them?

I think we do need more members, since even though the team has grown,
we sometimes work asynchronously. I.e. apart from my daily job, we're
all volunteers, and there are periods where some of us are busy with
other projects or just life :)

In terms of how we welcome new members, this has always been a bit of a
challenge. We need people who:

- Are respected members of the global translations community
- Are active and very knowledgeable on translations
- Have an interest in making Ubuntu Translations rock for everyone

And such individuals are not easy to come across.

> I guess for 2 we should consider if we want to continue like we have
> before, basically waiting for people to ask if they can help or we could
> do actual advertisement.

I've normally taken the approach of actively going to people I notice
they're doing a good job and asking them (so if you spot anyone, feel
free to approach them too!).

I think it's valid to let people apply to join the UTC team, it's just
that in the past we've had very little to no applications. The ones I
remember were from people who weren't really active in translations and
were a bit confused with regards to the UTC team role.

I do think we need more awareness of helping in the global translations
community, be it from the UTC team or from any other initiative. I did
have a work item next cycle to blog about this, but other work meant I
had to postpone it. I'm going to pick it up again this cycle.

 One thing that we should also keep in mind, is
> that right now the group is small, efficient and responsive and we
> probably don't want to compromise that with large numbers of members.
> What do you guys think?

I believe as long as the new members are trustworthy, they communicate
and they know what they're doing on the technical side, I think it
should be fine.

I think Launchpad templates is the only part you can seriously screw up
if you don't know what you're doing, but so far communication and asking
for things before doing them has prevented us having any issues.

I for one, would love to be facing a scalability problem rather than
lack of contributors :)

Cheers,
David.

--