Re: Unity

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Scott Randby <srandby@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/08/2011 01:15 AM, Jacob Peddicord wrote:
>> Absolutely! Xubuntu is an official Ubuntu derivative, and even if it
>> wasn't, you'd most certainly still be welcome. We're not going to
>> exclude anyone on the basis of their operating system. (Hypocritical
>> me: I'm typing this from a Windows machine.)
>
> I'm glad to hear this. The thing I like most about Ubuntu is that it
> works right away on a machine I have that has funny hardware. With other
> distributions, I have to do extra work to get everything running.
>
> In the future, when I have some time, I plan to be an active member of
> this community and shed my lurker status.
>

>> Also, if you're interested, you can still access classic GNOME from
>> the login screen by selecting the Classic session after selecting your
>> username. On the other hand, Xubuntu is a very fun distribution to
>> work and play around with; you'll have fun. :)
>
> I would use a GNOME Classic session, but I read in several places that
> the Classic session was going to be dropped in 11.10. I really don't
> want to play around with installing different desktops -- my experience
> with that is that something always breaks -- and I want something that
> works right away the way I want it to work. Actually, I liked the
> Xubuntu Xfce desktop better than the GNOME desktop in Ubuntu 10.04 (my
> current install), so switching will be a pleasure.
>
> I do plan to keep my eye on Unity. Maybe future implementations will be
> useful to me. Maybe this is hearsay, but I find GNOME 3 to be more
> palatable than Unity at this point.
>
> Scott
>

>> Cheers
>> Jacob
>>
>> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Scott Randby <srandby@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> The basic issue I have is that Unity drives me crazy. So I looked around
>>> and tried out Xubuntu which I like very much. I'm thinking of switching
>>> over to Xubuntu completely, but I still want to be part of this
>>> community. It seems to me that Xubuntu users should be accepted here,
>>> but is that true? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I love Xubuntu, can't rave about it enough.

If you are feeling particularly crazy, you should give Fluxbox a try!
You can run some of the GNOME DE over the top, throw in fbautostart,
and you've got a healthy DE :)

Have fun!
-Paul

--
All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

#define sizeof(x) rand()
:wq