Re: Northeast Ohio Census Call

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Cheri Francis <cheri703@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the Mansfield ReLoCo, our official name is "Mansfield and Too Far
> to drive to Akron, Columbus, Cleveland, or anywhere else"

I'm sure that applies to many of us "rural" Ohio-ans :)

> I encourage people from other areas to come visit Mansfield's Ubuntu
> hour / future events. I'm not going to turn someone away because
> they're from another area. I think we're too segregated as it is
> (people from Cleveland don't know people from Dayton in person, etc).

I'll take that as an invitation

> Personal anecdote time (feel free to disregard): Growing up, my church
> had a yearly camping thing. A TON of girls got pissy because I'd leave
> our "unit" (our usual congregation's group) and would go hang out with
> people from others. This was one of FEW times I got to see them all in
> one place, so I was darn sure going to hang out more with them, and
> less with the people I saw multiple times per week.

That makes perfect sense, with the one caveat being that all of you girls
were forceably geographically close during camp to begin with. We, of
course, do not have that luxury when we are spread out across so many miles
to start with

> Having fuzzy boundaries is NOT a bad thing.

Agreed

> I'm not saying that defining NEO a certain
> way is going to keep people out, but it makes it feel less welcoming.

It might, but the inverse is also true that without any real guidelines
someone new looking for a group (esp. those new to Linux / Ubuntu) may not
know where to start

Anyway, just some thoughts...and it got longer than
> anticipated...sorry for that. :)

:)

James Cain
IRC: ronnoc