Re: Lawsuit over the tzdata package

I think the lawsuit is a bunch of bull crap - AND does not merit its weight in the paper used to file.

The supreme court already ruled in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_v._Rural  that it is actually illegal to "copyright" facts and data.
Astrolab in this case is simply putting money behind making a point that they are frustrated because it took them a large amount of time and effort (perhaps) to get the information - HOWEVER the database itself - i think since it is simply factual data - may not hold up to its copyright.

My larger concern however is - What happens if this is successful - PHP ships with the Olsen database after all.
My question is - Where is the likes of  RedHat and all these other groups including Canonical and Novell -  Where is the FFE - why are they not standing up for what obviously will be a huge blow to the open source community.   Worse yet - if the court finds that the lawsuit has merit -   what happens to everything that has been coded to utilize the database ?
Imagine if non of us have indemnification and since we have used the Olsen database are found guilty by association.

All I know is - I think it is time to call for a Tango Down moment against Astrolabs -   funny but never thought I would find myself voicing such a statement...