ubuntu-us-wisconsin team mailing list archive

Kernel Team Newsletter - About and why you should care

Hi,

Here is a link to the Ubuntu Kernel Team Newsletter: http://v.gd/FhKFAU

This is(as far as I know) the first issue of a newsletter the Kernel team
is starting. This is to notify the public about the status of the Ubuntu
Kernel's and the Kernel Team. I plan on forwarding them on to you when they
are released.

What is the kernel?
The kernel is arguably the most important piece of software on any Linux(I
say Linux because it is the same with GNU and Busybox, and anything else
that uses the Linux kernel) machine. It is Linux itself. This is the piece
of software that does resource management and allows the hardware to
interact with the software. So I personally like to keep updated on this.

Why should I care?
If you would like to know when new software is released for your computer,
along with new features, then that is why. For the average person, this
isn't of vital importance to know, or even care about, but it is cool to
see. If you do not care, that is completely fine. I will just have it here
just in case you might want to look at it any time in the future. :)

--
Have a nice day,
Simon Quigley