ubuntu-waterloo-region team mailing list archive

Kwartzlab and the LoCo

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do we get to use the Kwartzlab space for meetings?

Yeah, about that... hehe... No.  We've got Kwartzlab lined up as a
venue for  the Lucid Global Jam in February or March.  Beyond that,
it's a case by case thing, with definitely no regular meetings.  That
said, for a regular meet, something like the Heuther or Whole Lotta
Gelata would work just as well, I figure.

Most LoCos do a lot of their business on IRC anyway.  Which I'm all
for.  But I think the occasional social gathering in meatspace doesn't
hurt either.  I don't think I could consistantly make a regular
monthly meeting either.

> I'd like to get into some collaborative programming projects.  Not so much
> that I have an itch to scratch or that I want to create something, but I
> want to learn enough Ruby, Python and Erlang that I can read and understand
> the code.

There is a definite potential for holding programming seminars or
tutorials in the Lab (particularly once we get a projector).  But the
Lab in discussions internally about how much time should be open to
non-member events and there's a possibility the Lab might demand a
nominal fee to non-members to attend.  For my own reasons, I'm
interested in knowing how much of an issue that would be for people.

But for the purposes of the LoCo, it's all a little up in the air.
They're working on it.  I'd love to do stuff like this, but I can't
guarantee Kwartzlab would be a venue that would work for us.

If there's interest, we can also investigate other venues, like UW,
local community centres or the Heuther.

Darcy.

Follow ups