ubuntu-za-maties team mailing list archive

Village Telco Mesh networking tech talk and workshop

Want to learn more about open source software, hardware and wireless mesh
networks?

*What*: Village Telco Open Source Mesh network presentation and workshop
*Where*: University of Stellenbosch (exact location to be confirmed)
*When*: 19 September (to be confirmed)

As we want to make this a real hands-on workshop we need to know how many
people are interested in order to get the best location and enough equipment
*Coming?* If you are interested please reply with "YES" or "MAYBE"

More info:

Some of you might remember from when Sun Microsystems still existed, I used
to give tech talks/presentations and lured you there with free pizza.
Wanting to continue that tradition but not having as much time, I invited
Steve Song from the Shuttleworth foundation to give a talk on the Village
Telco: an open source, "easy-to-use, scalable, standards-based, wireless,
local, do-it-yourself, telephone company toolkit". The village telco has
made great strides in bringing telecommunication to the masses and as well
as enabling anyone to start their own telco, has led to the ongoing
deployment of a 100 node mesh in Timor Leste.

For more information on The Village telco:

www.villagetelco.org
Linux Journal Article <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10604>
Tedx talk <http://vimeo.com/7924369>

--