Re: [Question #76186]: software installation

serge gave more information on the question:

Hi Shane

Thank you again. Sorry it hard to be specific right now, most of the
time I'm ok with 9.04, its just the odd things here and there that I not
sure about. I think when I first got some of the earilier version ie
8.10 and some of the other types of files like "rpm" which I tried to
download install a few things but couldn't quite get them working. The
only thing is I cant remember which programs they were now as I deleted
the older 8.10 version. Nevertheless I just downloading tried skype
stand alone again and that worked really well this time, but for some
reason I tried it a few weeks ago and not much happened. Maybe I was
missing some dependancies not quite sure. Same with cinelerra, whilst it
works fine in 9.04 it kind of doesn't seem to install onto the menu but
I realise this is not a program ubuntu supports. In the meantime I'll
keep trying and download some more stand alone .deb files and play
around with them again. Sorry Its just I still getting used to things on
linix and not quite sure about the some of the terminalogy. Nevertheless
I think you guys are doing a great job with linux and really do think
its wonderful operating system.

Cheers
Serge

IMPORTANT CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail message or an attachment to it is confidential, and it is
intended to be accessed only by the person or entity to which it is addressed.
No use, copying or disclosure (including by further transmission) of this message,
an attachment or the content of either is permitted and any use, copying or
disclosure may be subject to legal sanctions. This message may contain
information which is:
* about an identifiable individual;
* subject to client legal privilege or other privilege; or
* subject to a statutory or other requirement of confidentiality.
Please inform the sender if you receive this message in error so that future errors can be avoided

> To: serge4u@xxxxxxxxxxx
> From: question76186@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [Question #76186]: software installation
> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:30:22 +0000
>
> Your question #76186 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/76186

> You are still having a problem:
>
> Hi Shane
>
> Many thanks for your kind reply and yes I have tried some of the .deb
> files and most of them work great, it just some of the other types I get
> a bit lost with but working on how to figure it all out.
>
> Cheers
> Serge
>
> IMPORTANT CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
> This e-mail message or an attachment to it is confidential, and it is
> intended to be accessed only by the person or entity to which it is addressed.
> No use, copying or disclosure (including by further transmission) of this message,
> an attachment or the content of either is permitted and any use, copying or
> disclosure may be subject to legal sanctions. This message may contain
> information which is:
> * about an identifiable individual;
> * subject to client legal privilege or other privilege; or
> * subject to a statutory or other requirement of confidentiality.
> Please inform the sender if you receive this message in error so that future errors can be avoided
>

> > To: serge4u@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > From: question76186@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: [Question #76186]: software installation
> > Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 02:27:15 +0000
> >
> > Your question #76186 on Ubuntu changed:
> > https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/76186

> > shane fagan proposed the following answer:
> > gdebi does just that. You can install .deb files in that way. The
> > regular installer is just downloads the .deb file and installs it. gdebi
> > installs the single files which is harder to do because you need to
> > install all the dependencies too.
> >
> > Hope that helps
> > Shane
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> > https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/76186/+confirm?answer_id=0
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/76186
> >
> > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > subscriber of the question.

> POP access for Hotmail is here! Click here to find out more
> http://windowslive.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=802246
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

Looking for a new car this winter? Let us help with car news, reviews and more
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT