[Question #76217]: How to run or install 9.04 on Dell XPS 720

I have been unable to install Ubuntu or run the Live CD on my Dell XPS 720.  My computer has two NVidia GTX 8800 cards in an SLI configuration.  I have tried the Alternative CD installer also and it fails to boot up properly when it comes to rebooting after running the installer.

Each time I try to run the Live CD mode, it just 'boots' to a black screen with some white text at the top and nothing else.  The same happens on an actual install.

I have the netbook edition of 9.04 installed on my netbook and it runs beautifully (except the sound doesnt work but it's of little concern).  I can also install the desktop 9.04 version successfully on an older Alienware Area 51 desktop that is running an old ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

The Live CD, the installed version and the alternate cd installer all fail to work on the Dell XPS.  It is not just Ubuntu that this happens with either.  I have the same problem with Mint and Fedora.  It just appears that the graphical part of the current releases is still back in the dark ages!  :(

Would appreciate any help or suggestions to get this working please.

Many thanks