Re: [Question #76549]: Cannot remove package vim, using purge or remove

Question #76549 on vim in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+question/76549

surfless is still having a problem:
There are no .deb packages in that directory.

So I downloaded vim-full, vim and vim-gnome

vim-full installed but got the following

$ sudo dpkg --force-all -i vim*.deb
(Reading database ... 127765 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace vim 2:7.2.079-1ubuntu5 (using
vim_7.2.079-1ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement vim ...
Preparing to replace vim-gnome 2:7.2.079-1ubuntu5 (using
vim-gnome_7.2.079-1ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement vim-gnome ...
Setting up vim (2:7.2.079-1ubuntu5) ...
update-alternatives: error or eof reading
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/vim for sname ()
dpkg: error processing vim (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up vim-gnome (2:7.2.079-1ubuntu5) ...
update-alternatives: error or eof reading
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/vim for sname ()
dpkg: error processing vim-gnome (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 vim
 vim-gnome