[Question #76625]: cannot become root in terminal when installing nvidia driver

Ubuntu 9.04, 2.6.28-13 kernel,intel 2.4ghz,1g mem,Gnome 2.26.1....attempting to install nvidia egforce6200 card...used sh Nvidia-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run in terminal. System will not let me become root to install. I have restricted extras etc already installed. Suggestions? Thank you in advance M.W.Vonager