Re: [Question #76464]: Drupal6 needs security updates

Question #76464 on drupal6 in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/drupal6/+question/76464

Scott Testerman proposed the following answer:
The problem with using a repository from a different flavor of Ubuntu
than the one you're using is that the dependencies may cause a failure.
I haven't bothered to look into them, simply because Drupal is such an
incredibly simple system to upgrade.

> This is what we ended up doing, but felt somehow 'wrong'. :)
How can anything that feels so wrong possibly not be worth doing just for the fun of it? :-D

Basically, just drop the new files on top of the old ones, taking
special care to avoid overwriting any files you've customized in any way
(settings.php, etc.), and run the update script just in case.

I've actually already started work on the PPA.  I'm hoping to support
all four flavors of Drupal5 and the two flavors of Drupal6.  Maintaining
all the versions isn't nearly as involved as I thought; I just want to
ensure I've done everything correctly.  The existing packages have some
(what I consider to be) oddities so I want to test them before I post
them for public consumption.  I'm not, after all, wanting to step on the
toes of the current Debian maintainers, who did take the time to figure
out The Debian Way for Drupal and packaged it all up nicely for us.
Fortunately, I have a convenient testing server.  :-)

My biggest worry is that making constantly updated packages available
will encourage people to upgrade to the latest version of Drupal
(generally a Good Thing) without spending the effort to do all the
normal Drupal upgrade steps that they would do if they performed the
upgrade manually.