Re: [Question #76464]: Drupal6 needs security updates

Question #76464 on drupal6 in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/drupal6/+question/76464

barsalou is still having a problem:
Quoting Scott Testerman <question76464@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> This is what we ended up doing, but felt somehow 'wrong'. :)
> How can anything that feels so wrong possibly not be worth doing
> just for the fun of it? :-D

You got me there! :)

> Basically, just drop the new files on top of the old ones, taking
> special care to avoid overwriting any files you've customized in any way
> (settings.php, etc.), and run the update script just in case.
>
> I've actually already started work on the PPA.  I'm hoping to support
> all four flavors of Drupal5 and the two flavors of Drupal6.  Maintaining
> all the versions isn't nearly as involved as I thought; I just want to
> ensure I've done everything correctly.  The existing packages have some
> (what I consider to be) oddities so I want to test them before I post
> them for public consumption.  I'm not, after all, wanting to step on the
> toes of the current Debian maintainers, who did take the time to figure
> out The Debian Way for Drupal and packaged it all up nicely for us.
> Fortunately, I have a convenient testing server.  :-)

Thanks.

> My biggest worry is that making constantly updated packages available
> will encourage people to upgrade to the latest version of Drupal
> (generally a Good Thing) without spending the effort to do all the
> normal Drupal upgrade steps that they would do if they performed the
> upgrade manually.

Not sure I understand how upgrading manually has an advantage...is it
because Drupal could easily break?  Do you mind sharing some of your
reasons you think a manual upgrade is superior?

Maybe we could add checks in the package that would stop someone from
hurting themselves...or at least warn them that they might.

Mike B.