Re: [Question #76728]: changing permission to extract files xampp to /opt

Question #76728 on k9copy in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/k9copy/+question/76728

sundowner is still having a problem:
I have followed these directions
"Here I use sudo to doing something with root privilege. If your distro
not support sudo by default like Ubuntu, issue su command before then
enter your root password.

I myself, extract the lampp packages in my home directory on special
website folder. If you take this way, follow me:

mkdir website

tar xvzf lampp-1.7.1.tar.gz /home/leigh/website

and as root, we make a symbolic link (symlink/shorcut) and put it
in /opt.

ln -s /home/leigh/website/lampp /opt/lampp
Now I tried this but couldn't set up the symbolic link.
I also have tried putting the tar file on my desktop. and used the sudo
from root# to extract the file?
What am I doing wrong? Should I start again? If so how can I get it to
work.
The lampp file is in the website directory. I am confused. To date I
have enjoyed ubuntu. This xampp is harder then setting it up in windows.
What I want is to use JOOMLA to buid my own website. Am I going about
this this the wrong way. Would it be easier to set up ubuntu server for
this. However I haveset up all my music system on ubuntu 9.04 and love
it.
leigh horton
sundowner