Re: [Question #76617]: How to set up home dir encryption?

aspa is still having a problem:
Thanks for the pointers guys.
IMHO, since Ubuntu (Jaunty) currently has at least three different ways of encrypting (LVM, eCryptFS, EncFS) user file system data makes things very confusing for the users. The Wiki instructions don't make things much easier (FolderEncryption uses EncFS and EncryptedPrivateDirectory uses eCryptFS, some Wiki pages describe how to use LVM encryption others TrueCrypt).

It seems that the simplest way to get the home directory encrypted in Jaunty is to create the user account using 'adduser --encrypt-home {myusername}'.
When I log out and check the users home directory as root all the data seems to be encrypted.
Is this correct?

One problem I noticed though is that when I try to run Update Manager I
get the following error:

"Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic '--hide-main-window' '--non-
interactive' '--parent-window-id' '23068709' '--update-at-startup' as
user root.

The underlying authorization mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run
this program. Contact the system administrator."

This doesn't seem to be a fully supported feature currently.

Are there any plans to make file system encryption available also for
the non-technical Ubuntu user?