[Question #76944]: No Keyboard or Mouse

I have a Toshiba A100 laptop. Core 2 duo 1.83 cpu, 2 gig ram running Vista Home Premuim. I have installed Ubuntu 9:04. Installed fine, but when I try to boot I get to log on stage and have no keyboard or mouse. Have to shut down by turning off power switch. This is my first experience with Linux so need comprehensive instructions on how to fix please.
Only other clue is an error message to disable pnp in bios. I can't alter bios cos of the way Toshiba set it up. Any help appreciated?
How do I uninstall Ubuntu to try reinstallation to solve problem. When I try to reinstall/repair it wants to create a new partition or to format whole drive.