[Question #76948]: Error 11: Unrecognized Device String ... how to get rid of the error?

After some recent software installations (from the repositories) & deletions after I found they didn't suit my needs, I started to get the subject line error 11.

I, of course, "Press any key to continue"

then select

Ubuntu 9.04  blah blah blah 2.6.28-13 (Recovery Mode) ... something like that ... I pick the newest core

then it boots for a while & gives me the option for something like "Continue Normal Boot" which I select & it boots fine

But what file has the erroneous entry in it & how do I edit it out?  This glitch is preventing normal reboots.

Thanks