[Question #77020]: indicator-applet is invisible (almost)

New question #77020 on indicator-applet in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-applet/+question/77020

Binary package hint: indicator-applet

I wanted to see what this "Indicator Applet" was, so I went "Add to panel", "Indicator Applet", and clicked "Add". Nothing happened. I clicked "Add" a few more times. I had an inkling what might be happening, and looked into the panel's gconf settings - sure enough, I had 7 copies of indicator-applet on my panel, but I couldn't see any of them.

Later, I happened to look at my LCD from an odd angle, and the changed contrast let me notice some faint ridges on the panel which turned out to be my multitude of indicator applets.

The indicator applet should have some distinct visual presence of its own.

Consistency is good, and the indicator applet and the notification area applet share similar purposes, so I think the indicator applet should use the concept of a small but visible marker/handle as the notification area does.