[Question #77034]: step-by-step_how-to install MS Virtual Machine Additions for Linux on a MS VPC running (XP Pro as Host and) Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope as Guest

Description changed to:
Summary / Title says it all...

~.~.~

Hello there!

Have been googling for some time and finding only similar (unanswered)
requests, but no fool-proof complete-newbie-friendly step-by-step guide.

I've read a number of warnings (from official Ubuntu support) _not_ to
log in as "root", but - if and when needed - to use a "sudo" (super-
user) prefix to run admin commands...

I've "installed" the VMAdditionsForLinux_32Bit.msi to the standard
directory (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual PC\Virtual Machine
Additions) and tried to understand the VMAdditionsForLinux-README.txt -
note that these instructions aren't for Ubuntu, let alone Jaunty
Jackalope. - Apparently, a "root" login is required - I don't know if
"sudo" (or similar) would do the trick, too.

Anyway, I've captured the image (?) of VMAdditionsForLinux.iso into the
VPC (Microsoft Virtual PC) and tried to find and execute something like
a "setup.exe" (in analogy to "normal" Microsoft Windows) - but there was
nothing to be found on the "CD" - when perusing the "properties" of the
"CD" it said sth like: "root" only...

So this is how far I'd like to take it myself...

I am grateful for any help / advice you'd like to share with me / the
community.

tp.