[Question #77037]: :set columns=80 not working

New question #77037 on vim in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+question/77037

Currently I installed the following packages,

vim-gnome
vim
vim-full
vim-tiny
vim-doc
vim-gui-common
vim-common
vim-runtime

But still I'm not able to set columns width to 80 using the below command,

:set columns=80
:set columns
     columns=157

Its till going to 157, what happend to vi? Am I installed the full vi? why its not
working properly? what the hell debian.vim doing in /etc/vim/vimrc?

runtime! debian.vim

the actual 'vi' is pointing to 'usr/bin/vim.gnome'. Before installing 'vim-full' it was pointed to '/usr/bin/vim.basic', before installing 'vim', it was pointed to ''usr/bin/vim.tiny', all the 'vim varients' failed to set the columns to my preferred width(80).