[Question #77061]: suspend often fails without any way to workaround

New question #77061 on gnome-power-manager in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+question/77061

I have Jaunty on a T61 Thinkpad.

Often, when trying to suspend, the laptop will not suspend and after a few seconds of black screen will return to normal operation with the login screen to unlock.

Sometimes I get a message from gnome-power-manager (about vlc), sometimes a log message in the screen that some processes refuse to freeze.

Same thing if I try to hibernate.

The only thing I can do is shut down the laptop (otherwise it overheats or exhausts the battery and then crashes). This obviously consumes much of my time - need to wait to see that if the laptop manages to suspend, if not, login, shutdown, then when I arrive to my destination, boot (still a slow process, despite the work done for Jaunty), launch all my apps. this means that if i go to a client i always need to reserve a 10 minute buffer just for this procedure. It is worse if I'm in a hurry and forget to make sure the laptop suspended ok only to discover later it crashed.

In general, I understand that suspending may be a tricky business that can cause processes to fail if not properly done (though I don't remember having such problems in Windows). However, I think the process can be greatly improved:
1. if the freeze fails, why give me the unlock screen?
2. i want a gui wizard that will allow me to manage those processes that prevent suspend - see who they are have a choice to kill them and try again (have  a choice of a counter that will automatically do that if i don't click something within X seconds), configure which processes i want to automatically kill the next time this happens, and how to restart them, etc.
3. improve things like gnome-power-manager so that applications do not prevent it from suspending (sometimes, killing it and restarting causes suspend to work fine, which suggests the problem is with gnome-power-manager)