[Question #77062]: Screen gets darker, jobs turn "uninterruptible", freezes

Ubuntu 9.04 (64-bit) was installed recently on my laptop (processor AMD Turion X2).  Whenever doing
some jobs (mathematica, thunderbird, even just editor xemacs), after a while the screen gets darker,
on the system monitor some jobs get status "uninterruptible" (e.g., mathematica, thunderbird, xemacs);
the system immediately slows down, further work becomes impossible. If I don't use immediately
crtl-alt-delete (which then shuts down the system, extremely slowly, needs about 10 minutes), the
system freezes completely and only the power button remains the option.
Mathematica support service suggests that upgrading the graphics driver might help.
I don't know how to do this. I am just a user of Linux, can do only very basic stuff in the modification of OS components there.
Another person suggested to me to deactivate the graphics driver.
I have an ATI/AMD propietary FGLRX graphics driver (with comments: "Tested by ubuntu developers"; "3D-accelerated proprietary graphics driver for ATI cards;" "This driver is required to fully utilise the 3D potential of some ATI graphics cards, as well as provide 2D acceleration of newer cards.").
However, in the window there (obtained by: System->Administration->Hardware Drivers, showing information about the aforementioned driver as the only driver there) there is no option to deactivate the driver, only the option "Remove". If I pushed that button (I did not dare), would I irreversibly lose that driver?
I really don't know how to proceed. With the Ubuntu system in the state as it is on my laptop,
any serious work is impossible.