Re: [Question #77155]: freeing space on / directory or adding space to / directory

Question #77155 on yelp in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/77155

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
If you have write access to the NTFS partition you can make a folder on
the NTFS partition, then symlink the folder /var/cache/apt/archives to
it, you will also need to copy the existing data to the new folder and
the NTFS partition will now have a folder on it where debs will go when
you install stuff

I also recommend you have a read of

dpkg -l | less

and uninstall stuff you don't actually use, including old kernels which
you have upgraded over time but no longer need. This will free up ~100Mb
per kernel.

Things for consideration for removal:
openoffice (if you only use writer then install abiword. Open office takes up 500Mb on the partition)
gimp
vinagre

there are others but you can skim the OS down quite nicely. My Install
is 2.3Gb and sits happily on a 5Gb partition. The rest I use for /home
with 2Gb for swap

You can also resize the partitions but I suggest you use these methods
to see if you can skim the OS as resizning partitions may damage data.