Re: [Question #77178]: "Unable to detect file system..." What to do?

Damiano Venturin proposed the following answer:
it's probably a kernel related issue. it seems that the ubuntu kernel
has troubles when using your drive. that's strange because your pc seems
not so new.

I could suggest to you to try to boot  the system using ubuntu as live
cd adding to grub some common parameters like acpi=off or noacpi or
ide=nodma till when it works: but I don't know if you enough experience
for that. Have you ever done something like this before?

If not, in your shoes, I would give a try ubuntu 8.04 (or 8.10) booting
it as a live cd. If it works, I would install it.

--
enjoy!
Dam