Re: [Question #77299]: which version of Ubuntu?

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
They all allow that functionality. You can share the mount point of the USB drive using samba (to allow windows clients to connect) as well as use the system as a desktop PC.
As the system isn't a super power house 500Mhz + 512Mb RAM if I am reading the spec right, I recommend Xubuntu but try to uninstall most of the fluff it comes with to keep the OS tight. You can install and configure Samba to share the partition on the USB device once mounted. You may want to add an entry to /etc/fstab so the partition is always mounted to the same location.