Re: [Question #74437]: grub loading error 18 frozen screen

Question #74437 on grub in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/74437

Tom proposed the following answer:
As a hint or roadmap of where we are aiming at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto#If%20/boot%20is%20on%20another%20partition

Tjhis will be easier with a fresh install but we need to move your Xp
partition to give us a 100Mb space at the front of the drive.  We can
make the 100Mb space into a /boot partition, it might be good to squeeze
the linux-swap in just after it so that we end up with partitions
organised something like this

/boot
linux-swap
Xp on hpfs/ntfs
Extended partition containing
 /
 /home

Notice that all the linux partitions (except swap) start with / because
/ is the start of the file-system in linux.  The /home is much like
"Documents & Settings" but it's much more rigorous and ensures that all
you data really is in there.  It's wise to have this on a separate
partition if reasonably possible so that your data is safe if you ever
want to reinstall you OS, or install another linux instead - so it keeps
your options open.  Likewise /boot keeps all the stuff you need to boot
up the machine with.  It's quite unusual to need to have this as a
separate partition but on your hardware it is vitally important, as the
guide hints at.  Most of this is much easier to set up in advance of
installing and then the install also makes it easier to set this whole
thing up so that you don't have to mess around with "fstab" or other
tricky and perhaps dangerous system-files like that.  Anyway, we'll
guide you through once we know hard-drive size and the result of

free -m

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)