[Question #77356]: viewing ubuntu on a television

i have loaded ubuntu onto a laptop whose screen does not work.  the only way i can view my laptop is through my tv, which i have connected to my laptop via an s-video cable.  with windows, it was an easy right-click and switch to the tv screen, but i can not figure out how to do this with ubuntu.  i am a newbie, so i apologize if this is an easy question.  but...how do i get ubuntu to switch the display from the laptop screen to my tv??
thanks!