[Question #77393]: how intel-microcode work on Jaunty

New question #77393 on intel-microcode in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/intel-microcode/+question/77393

I run Jaunty32 on a core2 quad with intel-microcode & microcode.ctl.

Having some problems to boot & sometimes to shut down too, i wonder if these packages are the cause of the troubles.
But ubuntu seem to deal in a specific way with these packages; Intel on his site, says that Linux is able to run microcode from /etc/firmware: that does not exist on my install, only have /lib/firmware but any microcode there !!!

Somewhere else i've seen that udev might manage these packages: what's the reality & is my installation good ?

Thanks for your help & maybe i file a bug (not easy to know if microcode is correctly used or not, if it fail system can go on without it & ia32 can be ok; confused)