[Question #77411]: Getting pass the download window

New question #77411 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/77411

I am very new to Linux and I just received my HP Mini 110 Mi. It seems that it is up to me to figure out how to use it. I am trying to download programs and i have no idea. I have a system running on Release 1.2, kernel linux 2.6.24-22-lpia, and gnome 2.22.3. It doest specifically say I have firefox as the browser and in processes it shows that it is sleeping, well just about everything is sleeping. I am trying to download such programs as limewire and GIMME. When i go to download a box pops up that as how do i want to open the file. well it downloads but what else am i suppose to do with it? My package doesnt specifically have a name like syntec or whatever. Please i just need a quick crash course on this OS! Im use to windows downloading and opening for u.