[Question #77443]: GRUB Error 18 - URGENT HELP PLEASE

Considering that I am very new to computers and a very novice, the problem I face is when I reboot the laptop after Ubuntu Desktop 9.04 installation I get GRUB Error 18!

What exactly I did:
1. Downloaded the Ubuntu ISO and burned on a CD,
2. Installed the Ubuntu 9.04 O/S from the CD,
3. Selected the option which allows you to install 2 operating system side by side (I
already have Win XP installed on my laptop),
4. Followed the default on screen instructions to install the O/S (Not sure which drive orpartation it got installed in)
5. It asked me to reboot, I did and was faced with GRUB Error 18. It dosent load anything, when I reboot it just shows GRUB Error 18. I cant even get into my Windows XP or F8. I can only use Ubuntu from the CD that i burned. Nothing else loads or works. Is it that the boot loader is corrupted & not loading XP?

Kindly let me know what to do and how to troubleshoot the issue in a step-by-step format so that my laptop becomes a dual-boot(XP and Ubuntu at a time).

I certainly appreciate any help in this regard.