Re: [Question #77301]: problem installing ubuntu on XP side by side

Tom posted a new comment:
8Gb is not really enough without some fancy footwork.  Try using Xubuntu instead.  Many people prefer it because it's a lot faster and smaller yet is almost identical to Ubuntu.  My main problem with Xubuntu is that it's blue and i much prefer the earthy tones of Ubuntu, of course it's easy enough to change that.  Anyway, if you could download Xubuntu
http://www.xubuntu.org/get
and make a decent Cd of it
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
I tend to find really cheap "write once" cds are bettter for this than anything more expensive.  The ones you can only buy in packs of 10 or more rather than singly are ideal for this.

Then simply install by first running a LiveCd session to make sure it all works fine and lets you surf the internet with firefox.  Before installing almost any distro, not just Ubuntu, to a machine it's worth trying to run it as a LiveCd. You can check the LiveCd session works now by putting the Ubuntu Cd in the cd/dvd-drive and rebooting the machine. If you don't get to a menu saying "Try Ubuntu without changes to this machine" then here's a guide to help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD
if you do get that option in the menu then choosing it should get you to a working desktop, which we call a "LiveCd session", if it works ;)

If that does work then using the installer icon on the desktop there should help you install like this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

I hope this helps!
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)